Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Autographs and Apologetics

So I was talking with my friend dave today, he mentioned some of the professors he had up in northern VA were some of the top minds and authorities on apologetics. They were authors and well known people in their field. Kind of a big deal. He said how they were just regular guys but despite that he had to avoid falling into hero worship when he interacted with them.
I think this is a common trend in our Christian society that seems harmful to me. We view well known christian authors, artists and speakers with this sort of worship that belongs with Christ, not with man.

I think it's a carry over from American culture at large. Whether it's actors, musicians, athletes or some other person that is either talented enough or lucky enough to make it into the spotlight that is today's media, we elevate people to the level of worship, or near worship, We want to model our lives after Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie, John Mayer, Jay-Z, Lebron James, or Tom Brady. Even people who make it onto reality shows, American Idols, Top Chefs, Next Top Models, etc. Why? Why do we seek out fame? Is it because of our own dis-satisfaction with our identity?

Even within Christian circles; people want to be hip like Rob Bell, or counter-cultural like Shane Claiborne or adventurous like John Eldridge. Why do we stand in long lines to get our books autographed by these guys? Or push people out of the way to get a drumstick that the drummer from Mercy Me threw out into the crowd? I'm not saying anything is bad about any of these people. but I am saying at some level, all these people, from Brad Pitt to Shane Claiborne are not worthy of our devotion.

That belongs to God alone.

And I'm also not saying that doing certain things like these people are bad. Shane Claiborne has an incredible passion for the poor. And I love that about him and his ministry. But that stems from what God is doing through him. Not what Shane is doing himself. And as great as his books may be, they aren't scripture, and we shouldn't treat them like they are. Not everything in it is correct and true of what God desires for us. (Not to seem like I'm railing on Shane Claiborne, of the people I listed, he's probably the person that I struggle the most with hero worship of, so this is as much a reminder to me.)

We should look at one another with the same eyes that God does. That we would love one another and seek out how to sharpen one another into the men and women that God created us to be. But Christ should always be the model for our lives, and we should seek His face.

2 comments:

Emerly Sue said...

I really enjoyed this. Also, fess up. You know you wanna be like Jay-Z!

Josh said...

great post, mang.