Wednesday, July 15, 2009

craving community

So, being back home in chesapeake has been hard. I've struggled with the fact that almost all the people I know here, I know from my church. and yet, I don't feel like I'm engaging with anyone there. Everyone that goes there is either older, or younger and married with kids and so I feel like there are very few people that I could call peers.
So lately I've entertained the thought of going and looking at a new church. I want to find a church like the ones I read about in all these books where everyone is living in community and accountability and all that stuff. I have a hard time believing those churches really exist. I've never been to one. So how do I go about finding something like that? Is there any hope for finding one in Tidewater, Va? I don't know, I hope so.

2 comments:

Emerly Sue said...

I hear this. I miss my church in Greensboro and IV a lot. God will provide. He made us for community, and knows your heart. Unfortunately, as I'm learning, things might not happen when we think they should.

As to the job search, I have only been coming up short. I've been working at camp, but camp ends in three weeks. There's a hiring freeze on teachers here. I began to look into being a resident counselor at some orphanages in NC. A lot of them want a married couple, but I've found a couple that don't. I'm also researching grad school. I feel like I'm floating and the closer I get to the end of camp, the more hopeless I feel. So. That's a really long answer about my job search. Thanks for asking. (:

that girl said...

Finding a community like this is sparse in VA. I know there is the DC Community of Communities but that's located in VA...it might be worth it to facebook them and see if there are any communities in the Tidewater.

Also worth noting, there is LivingStone monastery in Newport News that runs out of Hope Community Church. I am not positive if they're living out this kind of community that you're looking for, but it also may be worth checking out.

http://www.hopeonline.cc/app/w_page.php?id=76&type=section

Good luck!