Friday, January 1, 2010

what's next?

2009 had a lot of things happen in it. I finished my thesis, graduated college, moved home, looked for a job, found a job, looked for a new church and found a new church.

so what's next? I know this is a failing of our society, that we're rarely content where we are. We are always looking towards what's to come. But the reality is that I'm not happy where I am.

I'm not doing something I'm passionate about. Part of the problem is that I don't know what I'm passionate about. I'm not passionate about architecture, at least not architecture in the real world. The design-centered architecture of school seems a long way off from the cost-centered architecture of the real world. The last thing I really remember being excited about was the incarnational ministry I was a part of during GUPY. The principles of reconciliation, redistribution and relocation were all things I could get excited about. I just wish I knew how to bring the two together. Architecture and incarnational ministry. I wish I could find some sort of urban redevelopment organization, I wish I could be excited about the work I'm doing.

Hopefully 2010 will bring that, finding a passion that I can pursue, whether it's part of my vocation or something outside of it.

2 comments:

Joseph Rooks said...

Fortunately for you and others, a design background gives you a lot of very valuable skills that a lot of great causes can benefit from. I have no doubt that you'll be a valuable part of whatever thing you find to immerse yourself in.

Bryan said...

and i'll be excited to see what comes next too. =) love ya bro