Monday, January 12, 2009

help yourself

so on saturday, i went with my church to bring sack lunches to Union Mission, the homeless shelter in norfolk. I got to sit down and talk with a guy briefly with a guy who i overheard talking about how he has just gotten an apartment and was going to be getting out of the homeless shelter this weekend.

the first thing he said to me was "you know something, God helps those who help themselves." and we went on to talk about how he's worked to get himself off the streets and get back on his feet.

i think that was exactly the thing i needed to hear.

i've been sitting around, feeling sorry for myself for not knowing what i want to do when i graduate, when i should be working to give myself options. not just waiting for the perfect opportunity to drop into my lap.

this guy had been into drugs, in jail, and on the street, but he's working to get out from that.
i need to work toward my future, not expect it to be provided for me.

i need to help myself

2 comments:

Emerly Sue said...

First things first: "I got to sit down and talk with a guy briefly with a guy who i overheard talking about how he has just gotten an apartment and was going to be getting out of the homeless shelter this weekend."

Read that. I am so sorry; I have this problem called being an English teacher. My homepage on my computer is dictionary.com...

Second things second: That statement is so interesting because we see in the Bible how God helps those who cannot help themselves at all. Likewise, he expects us to not be sitting idly by. I know that as you research your options and talk to God about them he will make a way clear to you. And sometimes, we just have to go with the gut he gave us and take a chance. Of course, those are big words for me, because I, personally, am not a risk taker.

I can't wait to see where God takes you. (:

Ashley said...

From someone who's been there...I want to send some encouragement your way. I'm not going to say "you'll figure it out". That's what older people always say and all it does is frustrate (or at least it always frustrated me). Remember at Leader's Retreat...they talked about how sometimes you don't get a green light from God-but you also don't get a red one. Sometimes you have to pick a path and walk down it and trust God to re-direct you if necessary. So I want to encourage you to do that.

And keep writing...how else am I supposed to keep up with my fellow hokies all the way out here? :)