Sunday, April 6, 2008

technological isolation and learning to be still

i've come to the realization that i've become dependent on technology.

the world we live in, and us in turn, have become so accustomed to instant gratification.
need directions somewhere? google maps
need information about something? wikipedia
need a book or movie? amazon.com
music? itunes
we can even order pizza online now.

we never have to leave our houses, use a map, take time to learn and remember things. The internet takes care of all this for us.

and because of this technology, we've also become increasingly independent from each other. if we want to talk to someone we've got cell phones, facebook, instant messaging, etc. face to face interaction is being replaced by talking across technology.

what's happened to our relationships because of this? what will happen if we keep going in this direction?

i think this is why the ministry of presence is so necessary in the world today; because it doesn't exist in our day to day lives anymore. we've made our lives so busy that we don't sit down anymore. we don't remember how to be still. Jesus sat down shared meals with his disciples, taught them, had community with them. we have drive through coffee shops, even restaurants like olive garden and applebees have to-go services.

i think this has been one of my biggest problems this semester. i never am still. i try to read the bible over coffee and then run off afterwards to do my next thing. i wonder why it seems like God isn't answering me sometimes. it's because i'm not listening! while it's all well and good to spend time reading scripture or studying theology i need to stop and reflect on these things. spend time being still in God's presence. in prayer or just in sitting.

so rather than being immersed in technology i need to simplify my life, be more content to sit and be still rather than running here and there, spending time online or watching tv. immerse myself in Christ, in His Word and in community.

and yes, i realize it's rather ironic to rant about too much technology via blog. oh well

3 comments:

Allen F. said...

:)

I'm glad you noticed the irony.

I have noticed this too recently. I have found hours disappear in front of my PC and TV, and I am not really watching or doing anything. I want to read and sit, but I don't.

Heck I even have work I could do for my EMT online, but I don't.

We are sharing a meal in two weeks, no debate.

Jenny said...

good thoughts, jeremias. perhaps i need a facebook fast for a little while. hope you're well!

Susan said...

Jeremy:

I am a 54 year old woman who never has been able to keep still. My husband fusses at me all the time for not relaxing. While I read my Bible or other spiritual boooks at night, while he is watching TV, I am completely unable to sit for more than five minutes in God's presence and allow Him to communicate with me. This is overwhelmingly frustrating for me. In my quest to find answers, I found your blog. Thanks for your comments about being still. It is something that our society is struggling with, but few of us recognize the damage it is doing to us. If you are interested, I blog at "2christ.wordpress.com" Would love to have you visit. I just switched from blogspot to wordpress recently, so I only have a couple of post on wordpress at this time. I have not deleted the blogspot page yet and the address for that is "2cchrist.blogspot.com.

Thanks again for your insight into "being still."