Saturday, February 23, 2008

de-railed plans

so my plan for today was to go take pictures of the national cathedral in DC, stop by utrects [art supply store] and head back here for dinner.

that was my plan anyways.

after a lengthy delay filled metro ride and a long walk to get to the cathedral, i find out that it has just closed 20 minutes previous.

ouch.

so i walked around the outside a bit and took some decent pictures, nothing fantastic, but i hiked back to the metro and planned to at least get some stuff from utrects so i could work on some studio stuff this evening.

so after another delay filled metro trip, i arrive at utrects at 6:05.

of course, they close at 6.

double ouch.

so, frustrated and tired, i walked next door to McDonalds.
comfort food i suppose.

so i'm sitting there eating my double cheeseburger when a guy comes and sits down across from me [there aren't any tables open, and i'm sitting at a 4 person table] and asks me if i have a dollar.

so i proceeded to sit down and talk with william as he ate his french fries. he was staying at the shelter down the road, had lived in DC all his life, went to St. Patrick's to 'meditate,' liked listening to talk radio.

when he had finished his fries he headed out and i followed suit, only to be stopped right out the door by a man named jeffrey who wanted some food as well. so i went back in and got him a meal.

not in my plan for the evening, buying food for two homeless men.

not in my plan to get to the national cathedral after it had closed

not in my plan to get to utrects after it closed

not in my plan to go to McDonalds for dinner

not in my plan to spend an extra 9 dollars at McDonalds.

but it was in God's plan.

2 comments:

Allen F. said...

Amen. Glad to hear God is doing awesome stuff in your life in NOVA. Have a great week bro.

Marshall Benbow said...

Praise God for derailed plans - it's often in those times that we learn the most because we actually have to pay attention to Him.